Sunday 28 December 2008

Genius!

I've spent the last two years writing essays that criticize CGI and modern animation techniques for not looking as good as traditional animation techniques, but until now I never had any suitable way of explaining the problems.

Over the festive period I have been putting the finishing touches to my final essay for Edinburgh College of Art, and although I had a good analysis on the topic, it is not until this afternoon that I finally found a solid reason for CGI and modern animation techniques not looking as good as traditional animation techniques!

I will post a more detailed diagnosis in January, but until then, try examining the aesthetics of:
- King King (stopmotion with CGI),
- Wallace & Gromit films (especially comparing A Grand Day Out with A Matter Of Loaf & Death),
- The progression of Pixar feature films (Toy Story - Wall-E),
- Different styles of rotoscoped or live-action referenced films (especially Beowulf with A Scanner Darkly),
- Computer graphics (70s arcade machines with modern home consoles...)
- And "realistic" paintings with the photographs that they are based on (eg: the painting of Scarlett Johansson on my website www.indyanimation.tk with the photo of her in Lost In Translation - just Google search her name and the film).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment