Wednesday 17 December 2008

My graduation film is...

My graduation project is a slightly experimental suspense film about a young woman searching through a spooky mansion for her lost dog (which is a Beagle). It will be animated by rotoscoping [a hand-drawn interpretation of live-action video footage] with ink on paper. I will record the live-action footage in January and then I will be drawing the footage every day for several months until it is all interpreted on paper... It is due to premiere in June 2009 at The Filmhouse on Lothian Road, Edinburgh.

I will be drawing in a style similar to Arthur Rackham and Edward Gorey but on a very small size so that the drawings are loose and the animation movements look vivid on screen; it will mainly be in black and white; there are influences from the New Wave cinema of Jean-Luc Godard and Aki Kaurismäki; and I will record the dialogue for my film in Finnish (why not?!).
What else is there...?
As well as getting Finnish dialogue recorded by Erica Weiste in Helsinki (Finland); I am getting video footage for the Beagle shot by Annalise Wimmer in Budapest (Hungary); and I am shooting video footage of Darryl Ryznar in Edinburgh (Scotland). The production of my film is basically a little Pan-European jigsaw!

Below is a short rotoscoping test (using footage from Jean-Luc Godard's Bande a Part) as a teaser for my graduation film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment