Wednesday 12 August 2009

12fp(s) - painting 5

I decided to do something a little different for this painting...


...That's right, I've painted it all with just one colour.

The colour of paint (Phthalo blue) looked good on the tube label, but now that I've done the painting I'm not so keen on it - it just seems too bright/bold and sour.

As well as using a different colour scheme than usual, this is the first time I've ever done a painting with tubed watercolours (instead of my preferred watercolour pans). As this painting only used one colour I'm unable to make a full analysis of both types of watercolour paints, but what I did notice is that these tubed paints offered a wider range of tones and also allowed me to paint consistently strong lines.
Even though that isn't apparent in this finished painting, I'm hopeful that the ability to paint a fuller range of tones and strong lines with tubed watercolours will allow me to create more Expressionistic paintings in the future - perhaps in a style reminiscent of Van Gogh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment