Monday 3 August 2009

Professional Finger painting!

I'm including some more painting commissions that I've done recently, but unusually for me, they were made using my fingertips instead of paintbrushes.
This might seem like a silly method of painting (kinda like a 3 year old!) but it helps me to achieve a stronger Impressionist style (which I greatly admire just now), and working with my fingertips also feels much more expressive and engaging than my paintbrushes.

It is a painting technique that I first developed while doing my Paint on Glass animation experiments in 2008, which were inspired by the brilliant Paint on Glass animator Aleksandr Petrov [the video below].


Now that the little history lesson is out the way, below is my other recent finger painting.
(Inspecting this image on the computer right now, I can see several things that I don't like about it: as well as the obvious lack of depth, the colours and paint strokes are looking really bold on screen, which I think is distracting from the overall image... If anyone has any opinions then I'd love to hear them).

Although neither of these 2 paintings are particularly great, I think the style has enough potential to develop into something much more exciting as I develop my technique.
Using my fingertips is certainly a more engaging and stimulating work process than that offered by brushes, so this excitement will certainly help to maintain my enthusiasm for improving and developing the style further.

2 comments:

  1. Andy, your fingertip painting is great and really gives a wonderful effect in the fabric of the dress - congrats on the sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a graphic artist artist for about 22 years now. So i'm somewhat a novice to blogging and found your web blog while searching for design blogs and forums. I want to admit just how happy I am with your resources in addition to the total high quality of your site. Hopefully , I can design a blog similar to your site and will keep an eye on your blogposts with great focus. Thanks a lot for the motivation mate.
    Feel free to surf my web site ... australian artists art

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment