Thursday 13 August 2009

12fp(s) - painting 6 [SOLD]

If there is a film in this painting series that people have a good chance of recognising, it is almost certainly going to be this one (mainly because 4 out of the previous 5 films were either Finnish or from French New Wave cinema of the 1950s/60s)...


This is a quick painting from an American film of 1959, directed by the legendary English filmmaker who most influenced the development of my graduation film (Pigment of Imagination) last year.
My dad quickly identified the actor and several memorable scenes from the film, but he struggled to recall the name of the film. Can you do better?

I have used the tubed watercolour paints (like yesterday's painting) for my second time, and although I had to wrestle with the paint in order to get the colours and textures that I originally desired, the finished image is slowly beginning to grow on me.
I can't tell whether I am warming to this painting because I like the aesthetic, or if it's just because I see hints of Edward Hopper in it (much like the first painting, which coincidently was of another 1959 film!) But one thing is for sure: this is one of the most memorable scenes in this great film, and I now have a strong desire to do nothing but watch the full film (once again)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment